Attorney Kelly E. Cook
Kelly E. Cook is a founding partner of Wyly & Cook, PLLC. Kelly was born and raised in a small Appalachian town in West Virginia. As the son of a police officer, he was always interested in the law and the justice system. After graduating from High School, Kelly attended The George Washington University where he graduated as an Honors Scholar with a B.A. cum laude in Classical Humanities. Kelly was also awarded the Elton Prize for the highest scholarship in Classical Greek. Kelly immediately enrolled in the George Washington University Law School.
After law school, Kelly went to work for one of the largest personal injury firms in the nation, Ashcraft & Gerel, in their Rockville, Maryland office. While there, Kelly took his first case to trial just nine days after taking the oath as an attorney. His first jury trial followed within the month. Kelly won both cases and discovered his love of trying cases that continues to this day. While working for Ashcraft & Gerel, Kelly was lead counsel on hundreds of files, and tried over twenty cases to a verdict. Kelly handled motor-vehicle crash cases, premises liability (slip and fall), product liability, and medical malpractice cases. Kelly also enjoyed working with the workers of Maryland as a workers' compensation attorney arguing hundreds of cases before the Maryland Workers' Compensation Commission. He also had the privilege of arguing before the Court of Special Appeals, and argued a case of first impression before the highest Court in Maryland, the Court of Appeals. Kelly maintains his Maryland license.
In 2007, Kelly moved to Texas and passed the Texas Bar Exam. Upon being licensed in Texas, Kelly went to work for the firm of Kennedy Hodges, where he handled cases involving breach of contract, automobile accidents, medical malpractice, police brutality, 18-wheeler crashes, and other general negligence and personal injury actions throughout Texas. Kelly continued to display his compassion for the working man by handling wage and hour cases for workers who were unfairly and illegally denied minimum wage or overtime, or were even forced to work without pay altogether.
In 2012, Kelly opened his own practice here in Houston, where he had the opportunity to continue working on car wrecks, premises liability, injured workers, other personal injury matters, as well as breach of contract and other general business litigation for small businesses. Finally Kelly continued to represent workers in wage and hour matters.
Now, as a partner in Wyly & Cook, PLLC, Kelly uses his unique trial experience and legal knowledge to assist his clients in all matter of litigation, from business litigation to personal injury to unpaid wages and overtime.
Attorney Kelly Cook has been honored with a "Superb" 10/10 Avvo Rating, and he has also been recognized by Houstonia magazine as one of the "Top Lawyers" in Houston in 2013. Kelly is a member of the College of the State Bar, and organization recognizing commitment to continuing legal education. Kelly serves on the Board of Directors of the Houston Trial Lawyer Association. Kelly is an active member of the Texas Trial Lawyer Association and serves on its Board of Advocates as an up and coming leader in the Texas trial lawyer community. Kelly is admitted to practice before the Texas Supreme Court and all State Courts of Texas, as well as the State and Federal Courts of Maryland, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Areas of Practice:
- Automobile crashes
- Wage and Hour Litigation ("FLSA/Overtime and Minimum Wage")
- Catastrophic Injury and Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
- Maryland, 2004
- Texas, 2008
- U.S. District Court for Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School
- Honor: Jacob Burns Scholarship
B.A. cum laude The George Washington University
- Honor: Honors Scholar
- Honor: Elton Prize
- Major: Classical Humanities
- Minor: Philosophy
Honors and Awards:
- Texas Super Lawyes list: 2016, 2017
- Texas Super Lawyer's Rising Star: 2013 and 2014
- 10/10 Superb Rating by Avvo
- Member, College of the State Bar
- Included in Houstonia magazine's "Top Lawyers 2013" list
- Listed in the 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court Member
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association, 2008-present
- Houston Trial Lawyers Board of Directors, 2012-present
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, 2008-present
- Texas Trial Lawyers Board of Advocates 2011-2013
- American Association for Justice 2005-present
- 7th Amendment PAC Board of Directors 2012-2015
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Ashcraft & Gerel 2004-2007
- Kennedy Hodges 2008-2011
- Law Office of Kelly E. Cook 2012-2013
Pro Bono Activities:
- Volunteer Judge for Mock Trial Tournaments